perl-test-dev mailing list archives

From "Christopher H. Laco" <cl...@chrislaco.com>
Subject Re: cannont find module errors
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 13:25:09 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:

>>>-=Chris
>>>

>>This doesn't make much sense to me. I know that the missing 'boot'
>>method error is caused by Apache::Constants not finding boot in the new
>>mod_perl2...but I can't understand how MP2 is getting involved in an the
>> t/ test files run of Apache::Test::need...
>

> ok, I understand what's going on here but I can't reproduce it like I ought
> to be able to...
>
> basically the "boot" error is a very common one from people who try to run
> mod_perl outside of an apache environment, like when command-line testing a
> handler.  so, that you're seeing this error makes some bit of sense to me -
> you're loading AxKit outside of apache and it can't handle it.

But it that's the case, I wouldn't expect this to work...and it does:

$ perl -MAxKit -e 'printAxKit->VERSION;'
$ 1.62

or even:

$ perl -e 'use AxKit;'
$ perl -e 'require AxKit;'

This also happens outside of the confines of Apache, and are quite happy.

> except that it used to work for you.  I'm assuming that you're talking about
> the same versions of everything, right?

Correct. need('AxKit') and the tests it's in work just fine on FreeBSD
and XP and the tests run. Both of those also have
Apache1/MP1/Apacher2/MP2 installed.

I could swear that I even saw it run once on my Ubuntu install.
I may start uninstalling anything Apache/Apache2/MP1/MP2 related and
start from scratch and see if there's a collision somewhere.

> anyway, I don't know what to tell you here.  you might try looking for an
> AxKit package other than the main one that comes with AxKit by default,
> something that will successfully load.  Apache::AxKit::Provider maybe?  I
> dunno, I'm not an AxKit user...
>
> also, on an unrelated note, note that
>
>   need_module('mod_perl')
>
> looks for mod_perl.pm in @INC due to the implementation of need_module.
> what you probably want is
>
>   need_module('mod_perl.c')

Good point. Time for more tinkering!

> which looks for mod_perl activated in httpd - just having mod_perl.pm on the
> server doesn't necessarily mean you've pointed to an apache install where
> mod_perl is active.  on the other hand, TestRunPerl will croak if there's no
> mod_perl.pm on the server, as will mod_perl.c...
>
> HTH
>
> --Geoff

On an unrelated note, I haven't heard anyting about my post on 2.0.2
test failures yet.

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/modperl/2849479

-=Chris