perl-test-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: cannont find module errors
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 13:13:37 GMT

>>>t/xsp_cart................................AxKit at /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.4/Apache/Test.pm
line 297.
>>>Can't locate object method "boot" via package "mod_perl" at /usr/lib/perl5/Apache/Constants.pm
line 8.
>>>Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/perl5/Apache.pm line 6.
>>>BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/Apache.pm line 6.
>>>Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/perl5/AxKit.pm line 9.
>>>BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/AxKit.pm line 9.
>>>Compilation failed in require at (eval 19) line 3.
>>

>>-=Chris
>>

> This doesn't make much sense to me. I know that the missing 'boot'
> method error is caused by Apache::Constants not finding boot in the new
> mod_perl2...but I can't understand how MP2 is getting involved in an the
>  t/ test files run of Apache::Test::need...

ok, I understand what's going on here but I can't reproduce it like I ought
to be able to...

basically the "boot" error is a very common one from people who try to run
mod_perl outside of an apache environment, like when command-line testing a
handler.  so, that you're seeing this error makes some bit of sense to me -
you're loading AxKit outside of apache and it can't handle it.

except that it used to work for you.  I'm assuming that you're talking about
the same versions of everything, right?

anyway, I don't know what to tell you here.  you might try looking for an
AxKit package other than the main one that comes with AxKit by default,
something that will successfully load.  Apache::AxKit::Provider maybe?  I
dunno, I'm not an AxKit user...

also, on an unrelated note, note that

  need_module('mod_perl')

looks for mod_perl.pm in @INC due to the implementation of need_module.
what you probably want is

  need_module('mod_perl.c')

which looks for mod_perl activated in httpd - just having mod_perl.pm on the
server doesn't necessarily mean you've pointed to an apache install where
mod_perl is active.  on the other hand, TestRunPerl will croak if there's no
mod_perl.pm on the server, as will mod_perl.c...

HTH

--Geoff