perl-test-dev mailing list archives

From "Christopher H. Laco" <cl...@chrislaco.com>
Subject Re: make test problem underA-T
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2005 13:06:45 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:
>>Hey, there's the empty TEST_FILES in TestMM::test. :-/
>>So, is this a bug, a feature, and oversite?
>

> hmm...
>
> well, I use TEST_FILES all the time
>
>   $ make test TEST_FILES=t/Foo TEST_VERBOSE=1
>
> and it works just fine.  the crux of this very long message is that TESTS in
> Makefile.PL ought to be propagated somehow but isn't?

Correct. Easy to fix. I didn't want to patch it before I knew whether
this was intended behaviour for some reason?

>>t/TEST recurses directories
>>in t
>

> it has always behaved this way, which is far more useful and better than
> MakeMaker's default behavior :)  so, don't expect that to change.

I agree, but I don't. ;-> While it may be usefull, it breaks
expectations and makes the 'make test' behave in two completely
different ways in terms of what is found in t.

M::B does exactly the same thing as EU::MM and just runs test.pl and
t/*.t. The simple act of using Apache-Test for just one or two
http=based test files in a test suite completely changes how make test
operates with respect to what files it runs. I think that's a Bad Thing.
It's even more frustrating if youre test suite runs with AND without
Apache-Test.

But alas, that will probably never change just because 'its always been
that way'.

In either case, it's probably moot if TestMM did what it should with the
test=>TESTS option in Makefile.PL.

Unless there's some reason that TestMM is deliberatly ignoring the
test=>TESTS option, I'll patch it this evening and send that to the list.

-=Chris