perl-modperl mailing list archives

From André Warnier (tomcat) ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: HTTP and MPM support
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2019 18:06:34 GMT
On 25.01.2019 18:35, John Dunlap wrote:
> I'm in the process of optimizing our web application for performance and one thing that
> was really excited to try was mod_http2 because it allows the browser to send multiple
> requests through the same TCP connection with compressed headers. However, when I enabled
> it and restarted apache I was greeted with this:
>
> [Fri Jan 25 12:30:57.813355 2019] [http2:warn] [pid 10186] AH10034: The mpm module
> (prefork.c) is not supported by mod_http2. The mpm determines how things are processed
in
> your server. HTTP/2 has more demands in this regard and the currently selected mpm will
> just not do. This is an advisory warning. Your server will continue to work, but the
> HTTP/2 protocol will be inactive.
> [Fri Jan 25 12:30:57.828217 2019] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 10186] AH00163: Apache/2.4.29
> (Ubuntu) OpenSSL/1.1.0g mod_apreq2-20090110/2.8.0 mod_perl/2.0.10 Perl/v5.26.1 configured
> -- resuming normal operations
> [Fri Jan 25 12:30:57.828238 2019] [core:notice] [pid 10186] AH00094: Command line:
> '/usr/sbin/apache2'
>
> The last time I tried to use either mpm_worker or mpm_event my application was plagued
by
> seemingly random segfaults. Are there any plans to support other MPM's? If not, the
> benefits of HTTP2 appear to be permanently out of reach for our mod_perl applications
and
> that, honestly, might force us into seriously reevaluating our technology stack. :(

Am I allowed to jump into the same thread, and ask about what the general status of
mod_perl is, nowadays (if someone knows) ?
I am very happy with mod_perl, which we have been using for many years and still use
extensively in our applications.
And it is true that mod_perl allows one to "do things" in/with Apache httpd, that no other

Apache add-on module seems to even approach.
But it seemed that it took quite a long time for mod_perl to become available again when
Apache went from 2.2 to 2.4, and it seems indeed that not much is happening lately in
terms of making it work reliably under MPM's other than prefork.
So I am curious too, like John above.

(Mind you, for us MPM prefork and HTTP 1.1 are still perfectly ok, but the question is
more about the longer-term future).

A. Warnier
(acting as) CTO
Mira Consulting GmbH