perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Dr James Smith <...@sanger.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Future MPM Support?
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2018 21:19:22 GMT
Unfortunately Plack (and Catalyst especially) are a fairly poor
comparison to using mod_perl properly {unfortunately very few people do
so} I've looked at Dancer and Catalyst - both are OK at what they do -
but they don't really handle things in the really clean easy way that
mod_perl does {if you attach code to the right handlers/filters} meaning
chopping in and changing code can be quite difficult in them.

Both are good for simplish applications {yes and I've seen complex apps
written in them as well - but they usually need a lot more hardware
support than the equivalent mod_perl app to cope with demand}

Unfortunately writing good mod_perl apps is hard - and so few mod_perl
apps really make use of the underlying framework properly - effectively
using it for code caching and not much else

On 07/06/2018 19:24, David Hodgkinson wrote:
> Moving your method handlers to the framework.
>
> I like catalyst. Stand on the shoulders of giants. Mojolicious makes
> me itch.
>
> On 7 Jun 2018, at 19:21, John Dunlap <john@lariat.co
> <mailto:john@lariat.co>> wrote:
>
>> What is involved in porting an application from mod_perl to starman?

Throwing away logic and logical structure and replacing it with a much
less flexible approach...

--
 The Wellcome Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research