perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Adam Prime <adam.pr...@utoronto.ca>
Subject Re: Shared var between processes
Date Fri, 20 Oct 2017 15:15:26 GMT
On 17-10-20 05:17 AM, André Warnier (tomcat) wrote:
> On 20.10.2017 10:50, Ben RUBSON wrote:
>> On 20 Oct 2017 10:38, André Warnier (tomcat) wrote:
>>
> I believe that there is much more of a performance hit, when asking the
> server to set up an environment ($ENV) for sub-processes, than via the
> PerlSetVar mechanism.

You don't need to use $ENV. If you're using handlers you could use
$r->server()->server_hostname.

You could certainly create a big hash at startup and grab stuff out of
it that way, where the top level key is the hostname. If the data that
you want to store is just strings though, this might be overkill. If,
however, you want to create deeper datastructures from a somewhere, then
this would be a perfectly acceptable way to do that. PerlSetVar is great
with just strings, but not for anything any more complicated than that.
It does have to be static configuration.

All the other limitations that André mentioned are completely accurate
though.

Adam