perl-modperl mailing list archives

From André Warnier (tomcat) ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: mod_perl and cgi-script handler
Date Sun, 11 Jun 2017 09:36:48 GMT
Hi.

Now that you mention this, I believe that the original "mistake" in your configuration
was the

<Directory /var/www/my-server-name/cgi-bin>
..
    SetHandler modperl
..
</Directory>

and by just taking that line out, you would have the same effect (without the <FilesMatch>).
SetHandler is the line which originally overrides the effect of "ScriptAlias".

You do not need "SetHandler modperl" in order to do the authentication via your module.
The "PerlAuthenHandler" is all that is needed.

SetHandler applies to the Apache response-generation phase, which comes later than the AAA

phase.

To explain this in another way :

What you are now doing below is :

1) ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/my-server-name/cgi-bin/"

That does the same as :
Alias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/my-server-name/cgi-bin/"
plus
<Directory /var/www/my-server-name/cgi-bin/>
   SetHandler cgi-script
<Directory>

It sets the Apache response-generating module to be mod_cgi, instead of the default (which

serves static pages).
See :
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_alias.html#scriptalias
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_cgi.html

2) SetHandler modperl

This overrides the "cgi-script" response handler which you set above, to set mod_perl
instead.  mod_perl would now expect an additional directive
PerlResponseHandler (some perl sub/method).
See : http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/config/config.html#C_SetHandler_

3) <FilesMatch>
   SetHandler cgi-script

By doing this, you are resetting the response handler again, from mod_perl back to
cgi-script (mod_cgi).

So instead, if you just omit
   SetHandler modperl

it would be simpler, and just as effective.

And if you want even more info about what is happening, see the following :
https://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/http.html
(Note : the AAA part there is outdated for Apache 2.4)

On 11.06.2017 01:47, Jie Gao wrote:
> It seemed "SetHandler" in the mod_perl section overwrote the settings for cgi-script.
Adding the following to the directory stanza fixed the problem:

>      <FilesMatch .*>
>          SetHandler cgi-script
>      </FilesMatch>
>
> ..
>
> Regards,
>

> Jie
>

> * Jie Gao <J.Gao@sydney.edu.au> wrote:
>
>> Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2017 20:35:43 +1000
>> From: Jie Gao <J.Gao@sydney.edu.au>
>> To: modperl@perl.apache.org
>> Subject: mod_perl and cgi-script handler
>>
>> Hi All
>>
>> I have run into a problem with CGI under mod_perl, and I can't get my head around
it.

>> I wanted to put a "cgi-bin" directory under my authentication/authorisation handlers,
but while authen/authz works fine (debug showing access granted), the directory is in the
end not handled by "cgi-script", the default cgid content handler, and the text of the cgi
script gets displayed instead.

>> My configuration is like the following:
>>
>> #------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> PerlAddAuthzProvider my_User W::W::Authnz->authz
>>
>> <VirtualHost _default_:443>
>> ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/my-server-name/cgi-bin/"
>>
>> <Directory /var/www/my-server-name/cgi-bin>
>>      AllowOverride None
>>
>> #    PerlOptions +SetupEnv
>> #    Options +ExecCGI
>> #    SetHandler modperl
>> #    PerlAuthenHandler W::W::Authnz->authen
>> #    AuthType mytype
>> #    AuthName 'myname'
>> #    <RequireAll>
>> #    Require my_User mylogin
>> #    Require ip 10.65.
>> #    </RequireAll>
>> </Directory>
>>
>> </VirtualHost>

>> If I comment out, as above, all the mod_perl configurations, and then add "Require
all granted" to the directory stanza, the cgi scripts will run normally.