perl-modperl mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Where is the mod_perl development repo?
Date Thu, 09 Mar 2017 08:52:27 GMT
Hello.

I am catching this at the end, but the general subject interests me, and I'd like to know

more. Should I start a new thread ? and what best to name it ?

My situation : I am not a hot-shot programmer nor perl expert, but over time I have
written quite a few mod_perl-based pieces of code, roughly in 2 categories :
1) one category which interacts quite heavily with the Apache request processing phases
and with the Request object, such as authentication, various kinds of proxying, wraps
around DAV to make it do what I want, output filters etc.
2) another category of things which could have been done using CGI and Apache::Registry
(processing <form> submits etc.), but since I was already doing the first kind above,
I've
done these by creating add-on mod_perl modules instead. (Which do sometimes rely on
something that has been done by the first category, like $r->pnotes).

But if really "It is now the recommended approach to PHP and other scripting endpoints"
(including, I suppose, perl), it looks like I would slowly have to change my strategy.

If I understand the general idea correctly, it consists of no longer running complicated
and memory-hungry things directly in Apache through mod_perl, but to use Apache as a
front-end reverse proxy, and proxy such calls to one or more back-end processes having
their own persistent perl (or other) interpreter. Is that correct ?

Intuitively, I would imagine that the approach below fits my second category more than the

first, right ?
So, for the second type, where could I best start reading ?

(Contrarily to the original poster, I am perfectly happy with Perl 5, and not looking at
Perl 6 yet. I am also not really a fan of very abstract "frameworks", because of their
general "all or nothing" approach. Template::Toolkit is about my limit).