On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 10:23 AM, Ruben Safir <ruben@mrbrklyn.com> wrote:
On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 09:46:52AM -0500, Igor Chudov wrote:
> Ruben, thank you for your opinion. You have your own opinion and I have
> mine, and that is what makes the Internet beautiful.
>
> Take a look at your own website coinhangout.com. It is down right now. But
> take a look at its google cache:
>
> http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache%3Awww.coinhangout.com&oq=cache%3Awww.coinhangout.com&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.1525j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
>
> click on View Source of that.
>
> There you see that most of the page is perl code, in embperl wrappers. Just
> a little HTML head and ending is HTML.
>
> This is what I found to be typical of most pages.

That is called templates, BTW and is common.  In that case I was
importing a large modperl application and embedding it into a second
page.  It was pretty quick and dirty but it did the job to about 80K
hits a day on a little atom fit/pc processor.

I stopped using the page when someone stole all the coins on the site
from their home. I lost my stomach for it and passed the site along to a
friend who may or may not be using it.

I am sorry to hear this, I am sure that it was a sad moment. Remind your friend to change the WHOIS information on this domain.

That doesn't make CGI.pm any less of a pig.  It is th swiss army knife
of internet programming, but it has a huge cost, especailly if you are
using large pages heavy on content that are cached in RAM.  It also runs
a lot of contacts, and can gum up the OS scheduler and wait cues real good.

I use CGI.pm exclusively inside mod_perl. At peak demand around 7pm on week days, when everyone is doing homework, I serve about 170 or so requests per second. The server is a 8 CPU virtual server running in google cloud and it is about 50% busy.

About maybe half of those responses are images generated by mod_perl/CGI.pm scripts that draw pictures of math formulas like x/(x+1) etc.

I agree that running CGI.pm inside true CGI scripts (one process per every web object) is expensive. Running it inside mod_perl seems to be extremely efficient.

http://www.mrbrklyn.com