On our Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS, after installing mod_perl (simply out-of-the-box with apt-get), CGI.pm installs:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.22/FCGI.pm

/usr/share/perl5/CGI.pm

We have 20+ Ubuntu LTS instances running on Google Cloud Platform, 12.04, 14.04 and 16.04, on all mod_perl and CGI.pm run fine.

Only non-issue – and only on stopping/restarting service apache2 – are lines like these in the apache2 error.log:

[Sun Sep 11 08:31:00.430150 2016] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 15239] AH00169: caught SIGTERM, shutting down

[  error] oh jeez, server dumped core

[  error] oh crap, server dumped core

Regards, Eric