perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Dr James Smith <...@sanger.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Alternatives to CGI perl module
Date Sun, 11 Sep 2016 18:19:02 GMT
CGI.pm is still good - but i you are using modperl "properly" then it is
worth look at APR, which when you use CGI.pm under mod_perl it is what
is used under the hood... and is faster than CGI (one less level of
abstraction) although there is a minor bug in it - in that is broken if
you use modperl when it doesn't expand the environment.

We moved away from CGI to using APR as this made life in our mod_perl
framework.

Yes you can look at PSGI and Plack - but in our situation we found quite
a number of issues causing DOS attacks in this setup - some of our
requests are very heavy and we wanted to selectively choose multiple
layers (as in different combinations of handlers) to the application -
both things PSGI/Plack's design doesn't like. Also we have 100s of
applications running on the same server which doesn't work nicely in the
plack environment - multiple servers would really be required which adds
to server over head...

As for templates - invariably if you want to apply sitewide style to a
site they are the WRONG solution - but I've had this debate with many
people and most don't see the point - until I point out how simple I can
change the way tables work on a site... It does involve writing good
CSS/JS and not relying on the presentational frameworks which are get
far to common place!

---