perl-modperl mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: random token re-used in subsequent requests [SOLVED]
Date Fri, 27 May 2016 07:29:36 GMT
On 26.05.2016 16:01, Vincent Veyron wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2016 16:38:18 +0200
> Vincent Veyron <vv.lists@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
>> Out of five different servers, the code works fine on four machines, and a different
token is generated every time the page is loaded or re-loaded. On one server however, a previous
token is being re-used

> Hi,
>
> The faulty server was installed with 32-bit binaries on a 64-bit processor.
>
> I did a clean re-install using 64-bit binaries (debian stable AMD64), and the problem
went away.

> ab -n 20000 -c 5 "<my test url>"
>
> now generates 20000 unique keys.
>
> Speed also increased from 40 to 70 pages/second

Thanks for reporting this.

The above strongly hints at some flaw in the srand() of perl, when called by a 32-bit
perl, on a 64-bit OS/machine.
In the course of this discussion, I remember citing some article found on the web, which
was talking about something along those lines (such as the fact that only the lower or
upper 32 bits were being used or so).
Maybe it is worth passing this info along to the perl (language) developers, at www.perl.org
?