perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Xinhuan Zheng <xzh...@christianbook.com>
Subject Re: Needs some clarification
Date Sat, 17 Oct 2015 02:25:07 GMT
Thank you. Is there a way I can use t/TEST the Apache Test to see the cgi-bin scripts vs handler
the difference?

Also, I noticed that in startup.pl, mod_perl documentation says do

use foo();

what’s the difference compared to using “use foo;”?

- xinhuan

From: James Smith <js5@sanger.ac.uk<mailto:js5@sanger.ac.uk>>
Date: Friday, October 16, 2015 at 10:36 AM
To: Xinhuan Zheng <xzheng@christianbook.com<mailto:xzheng@christianbook.com>>
Subject: Re: Needs some clarification

  1.  cgi-bin scripts vs mod_perl handler - Does cgi-bin scripts get compiled per request
or just once? What about those mod_perl handler scripts? Is there difference between mod_perl
1 and mod_perl 2?

Traditional cgi-bin scripts are compiled each request.

mod_perl whether Registry scripts or handlers are compiled once per child and code pre-loaded
before the child is forked will be compiled only once (you can force code to be compiled in
the parent application!)

This is where you get performance gains over traditional CGI scripts.
Thanks,
- xinhuan

-- The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research Limited, a charity registered
in England with number 1021457 and a company registered in England with number 2742969, whose
registered office is 215 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BE.