I guess we do need connection caching and have persistent connections. It is good in our situation. But I would feel oracle 11g connection pooling might be more appropriate option to handle idle connection time out issue. Having another tier (like DBD::Gofer) looks like really messy in infrastructure plus itís not certain who is going to maintain that moduleís quality.

- xinhuan

From: Perrin Harkins <pharkins@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, November 13, 2014 at 11:42 AM
To: Dr James Smith <js5@sanger.ac.uk>
Cc: mod_perl list <modperl@perl.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Disconnect database connection after idle timeout

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 11:29 AM, Dr James Smith <js5@sanger.ac.uk> wrote:
>From experience - and having chatted with our DBAs at work, with modern Oracle and with MySQL keeping persistent connections around is no real gain and usually lots of risks

It's certainly good to know how long it takes to get a fresh connection and consider whether you need persistent connections or not. Connecting tends to be fast on MySQL and caching is probably not needed unless you're running a very performance-sensitive site. The last time I worked with Oracle, connections were too slow to run without caching them. That was years ago though, and the situation may have improved.

- Perrin