Yes, it's an HTTP proxy. It handles sending out the bytes to remote clients, so that your mod_perl server doesn't have to. A popular high-performance choice these days is nginx.

There's some discussion of why to use a front-end proxy here:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/strategy.html

- Perrin

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 2:12 PM, Xinhuan Zheng <xzheng@christianbook.com> wrote:
Hi Perrin,

I don’t quite understand what you mean by setting up a front-end proxy. What would you expect this “proxy” do? Does it take HTTP request?

Thanks,
- xinhuan

From: Perrin Harkins <pharkins@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, November 13, 2014 at 12:50 PM
To: Xinhuan Zheng <xzheng@christianbook.com>
Cc: Dr James Smith <js5@sanger.ac.uk>, mod_perl list <modperl@perl.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Disconnect database connection after idle timeout

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 12:19 PM, Xinhuan Zheng <xzheng@christianbook.com> wrote:
Having another tier (like DBD::Gofer) looks like really messy in infrastructure plus it’s not certain who is going to maintain that module’s quality.

I'd only recommend trying it after you set up a front-end proxy, tune your mod_perl configuration, and use any Oracle tools available to you.

- Perrin