perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Xinhuan Zheng <xzh...@christianbook.com>
Subject Re: Disconnect database connection after idle timeout
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2014 22:38:26 GMT
Hi Parrin,

> While it is possible to do some caching in a proxy like this, the more important thing
it does is buffering the content, and possibly serving static requests for JavaScript and
images. That frees up the mod_perl processes to move on to another request.

I am questioning the value of this kind “proxy”. We have load balancer cache that can
cache images and JavaScripts. This functions seems a bit duplicate. The value I am seeing
is that because “proxy” understands the HTTP protocol so dynamic content can be served
directly from “proxy” cache, without going through a front end server to memcache then
a response back to a front end server to remote client. That’s the value I am seeing. I
am not sure if this is the right understanding.

- xinhuan

From: Perrin Harkins <pharkins@gmail.com<mailto:pharkins@gmail.com>>
Date: Thursday, November 13, 2014 at 4:54 PM
To: Xinhuan Zheng <xzheng@christianbook.com<mailto:xzheng@christianbook.com>>
Cc: mod_perl list <modperl@perl.apache.org<mailto:modperl@perl.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Disconnect database connection after idle timeout

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 2:41 PM, Xinhuan Zheng <xzheng@christianbook.com<mailto:xzheng@christianbook.com>>
wrote:
>From the description of the document, the “proxy” server acts much like a memcache
but it appears the difference is the “proxy” understands the HTTP protocol while memcache
does not.

Not exactly. While it is possible to do some caching in a proxy like this, the more important
thing it does is buffering the content, and possibly serving static requests for JavaScript
and images. That frees up the mod_perl processes to move on to another request. This is the
same process model used by most other systems, like FastCGI or nginx + Starman.

Would you think this “proxy” server sitting in front of the front end server but behind
the load balancer?

Yes, it goes between your load balancer and your mod_perl server.

- Perrin