perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Xinhuan Zheng <xzh...@christianbook.com>
Subject Re: Disconnect database connection after idle timeout
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2014 19:41:59 GMT
Hi Perrin,

Thanks for pointing out the document. We are using mod_perl enabled apache server for dynamic
content. From the description of the document, the “proxy” server acts much like a memcache
but it appears the difference is the “proxy” understands the HTTP protocol while memcache
does not. We use load balancer in front of front end servers which can cache some static content.
But load balancer has RAM limit. We cannot cache beyond that limit. memcache can cache dynamic
content but it is not directly respond to HTTP request. Would you think this “proxy” server
sitting in front of the front end server but behind the load balancer?

- xinhuan

From: Perrin Harkins <pharkins@gmail.com<mailto:pharkins@gmail.com>>
Date: Thursday, November 13, 2014 at 2:23 PM
To: Xinhuan Zheng <xzheng@christianbook.com<mailto:xzheng@christianbook.com>>
Cc: mod_perl list <modperl@perl.apache.org<mailto:modperl@perl.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Disconnect database connection after idle timeout

Yes, it's an HTTP proxy. It handles sending out the bytes to remote clients, so that your
mod_perl server doesn't have to. A popular high-performance choice these days is nginx.

There's some discussion of why to use a front-end proxy here:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/strategy.html

- Perrin

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 2:12 PM, Xinhuan Zheng <xzheng@christianbook.com<mailto:xzheng@christianbook.com>>