perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Xinhuan Zheng <xzh...@christianbook.com>
Subject Re: Disconnect database connection after idle timeout
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2014 17:19:23 GMT
I guess we do need connection caching and have persistent connections. It is good in our situation.
But I would feel oracle 11g connection pooling might be more appropriate option to handle
idle connection time out issue. Having another tier (like DBD::Gofer) looks like really messy
in infrastructure plus it’s not certain who is going to maintain that module’s quality.

- xinhuan

From: Perrin Harkins <pharkins@gmail.com<mailto:pharkins@gmail.com>>
Date: Thursday, November 13, 2014 at 11:42 AM
To: Dr James Smith <js5@sanger.ac.uk<mailto:js5@sanger.ac.uk>>
Cc: mod_perl list <modperl@perl.apache.org<mailto:modperl@perl.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Disconnect database connection after idle timeout

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 11:29 AM, Dr James Smith <js5@sanger.ac.uk<mailto:js5@sanger.ac.uk>>
wrote:
>From experience - and having chatted with our DBAs at work, with modern Oracle and with
MySQL keeping persistent connections around is no real gain and usually lots of risks

It's certainly good to know how long it takes to get a fresh connection and consider whether
you need persistent connections or not. Connecting tends to be fast on MySQL and caching is
probably not needed unless you're running a very performance-sensitive site. The last time
I worked with Oracle, connections were too slow to run without caching them. That was years
ago though, and the situation may have improved.

- Perrin