perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Perrin Harkins <phark...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Disconnect database connection after idle timeout
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2014 16:42:21 GMT
On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 11:29 AM, Dr James Smith <js5@sanger.ac.uk> wrote:

> From experience - and having chatted with our DBAs at work, with modern
> Oracle and with MySQL keeping persistent connections around is no real gain
> and usually lots of risks

It's certainly good to know how long it takes to get a fresh connection and
consider whether you need persistent connections or not. Connecting tends
to be fast on MySQL and caching is probably not needed unless you're
running a very performance-sensitive site. The last time I worked with
Oracle, connections were too slow to run without caching them. That was
years ago though, and the situation may have improved.

- Perrin