perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Dave Morgan <dave.mor...@1001111.com>
Subject Re: Disconnect database connection after idle timeout
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2014 16:54:34 GMT
On 11/13/2014 09:42 AM, Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 11:29 AM, Dr James Smith <js5@sanger.ac.uk <mailto:js5@sanger.ac.uk>>
wrote:

>      From experience - and having chatted with our DBAs at work, with modern Oracle and
with MySQL keeping persistent connections around is no real gain and usually lots of risks

MySQL I don't know, Oracle, every connection should be persistent if you are making more than
a single call

>  The last time I worked with Oracle, connections were too slow to run without caching
them. That was years ago though, and the situation
> may have improved.

I hate to quote myself but .....

> On 11/13/2014 08:00 AM, Dave Morgan wrote:>
>> Idle db connections cost almost nothing, establishing a connection is expensive.
>>
>> Warning: I am better at Oracle than perl, and I am not very good with either :)

Making a new connection to Oracle 11 or 12 is still painfully expensive.

Dave

--
Dave Morgan
Senior Consultant, 1001111 Alberta Limited