perl-modperl mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Web Server Architecture
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2013 07:50:47 GMT
Joseph D Carroll Jr wrote:
> I am new to httpd (or any web server for that matter) and I am trying to
> play around with some things using Amazon Web Services.  So as much as I
> may be looking for an answer, I am more interested in where I can figure
> all of this out.
>
> I am setting up a simple web site (just as a demo for myself) not unlike
> the apache.org site.  A relatively simple site with a forum (FUDforum),
> bugzilla, and a couple of other simple services.  I have been able to
> figure out enough where I am able serve a simple html website; however, I
> am now working on implementing Bugzilla and I have run into an issue.
>
> I would like to host bugzilla on what I will call "Box B" and I have httpd
> currently running on what I'll call "Box A" (because I feel like that is
> more secure/professional ?).  I am unclear on how to serve content from Box
> B through Box A, would someone be able to provide a little more clarity?
>
> If I had to guess:
>   - Box B would be listed as a "virtual host" under Box A
>   - Box B would be running a separate instance of httpd and wouldn't
> know/care if requests were coming through Box A or directly from the web
>
> Other questions:
>   - I have not defined any kind of domain for these (AWS) instances, will
> that be a problem for now?

Hi.
I think that your questions have very little to do with mod_perl, which is the focus of
this help list.
You are probably better off asking this on the general Apache httpd forum.

As a purely personal note : if you are really as new as inexperienced as you claim to be
above, it looks to me as if what you are trying to set up is already fairly complex for a

first exercise.
My suggestion would be to first stick to one webserver on one box, hosting one
application, and when you really understand how it all works, then start to add more
applications and/or move pieces around.
It will also be easier for you to find help at each stage, rather than asking for such
general kind of help which would take days of someone's time.