perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "Randolf Richardson" <rand...@modperl.pl>
Subject Re: [URGENT] Do not post below post on Internet
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2013 15:54:47 GMT
> Hi.
>
> You do realise that the more attention you draw to this, the more likely someone is to

> really go search through the dozens of archived versions of these messages, to find what

> you are so worried about ?
>
> Do as someone wrote earlier : change that information on your servers, now.
> There is no alternative.  By delaying and writing more about it, you only make it worse.
> It is *impossible* for anyone to go now and delete all the copies of these posts.
> If you have been reading any newspapers in the last couple of months, you'll understand
why.

	That was me, and this is what I wrote to Jitendra just 5 hours
before he/she start this "URGENT" topic:

"Once it has been sent out via eMail, it's up to each recipient to
delete it.  You won't be able to pull them back because that's the
nature of eMail, even if it can be removed from the archives (which
may be mirrored elsewhere already that Apache has no control over).

"Your best bet is to change passwords, etc."

	I do hope that Jitendra had the good sense to change passwords, at
the very least.  You are correct, André, in that this situation isn't
going to get any better by drawing more attention to it.  Sigh, it
seems that Jitendra has a lot to learn about how information can get
a life of its own once replicated onto the internet.

	It appears that there's some legal babble about designated
recipients and rules for how the message is to be used.  In addition
to this being contrary to how the technology works as well as placing
an unreasonable burden on people, it's also trivially defeated by the
fact that it was sent to a "designated recipient" (in this case the
mailing list, I presume).

	I question the veracity of such legal disclaimers anyway because
recipients didn't agree to them beforehand.  It's fine that there is
a lecture there, but to claim "intended recipient" is just silly
because as soon as the sender sends the message, the recipients
techincally are all "intended" regardless of whether they were
entered by mistake since it is perfectly reasonable to assume that
the sender is the one who specified the list of recipients.

	Messages sent to a recipient that happens to be a public mailing
list can't be recalled (just like how messages sent to individuals
also can't be recalled, although an individual may, at their
discretion, delete any message they received).

> jitendra.soni@accenture.com wrote:
> > Hi Staveren,
> >
> > Please do the needful to delete the post, its very urgent.
> >
> > Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,
> >
> > Jitendra Soni

including e-mail and instant messaging (including content), may be scanned by our systems
for the purposes of information security and assessment of internal compliance with Accenture
policy.

> > www.accenture.com

Randolf Richardson - randolf@inter-corporate.com
Beautiful British Columbia, Canada