perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Jim Albert <...@netrition.com>
Subject Re: automatically restart httpd
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2013 17:47:00 GMT
On 4/23/2013 1:36 PM, Ryan Perry wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 12:23 PM, Jim Albert <jim@netrition.com
> <mailto:jim@netrition.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 4/23/2013 1:08 PM, Ryan Perry wrote:
>
>         I've considered doing it daily via cron, but if there's a way to
>         do when
>         I hit this error I'd prefer that.
>

>         On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 12:02 PM, Jim Albert <jim@netrition.com
>         <mailto:jim@netrition.com>
>         <mailto:jim@netrition.com <mailto:jim@netrition.com>>> wrote:
>
>              On 4/23/2013 11:49 AM, Ryan Perry wrote:
>
>                  I've been plagued by some bug that makes a call to LWP
>         stop working:
>                  "Can't connect to 192.168.0.222 (Bad hostname)"
>
>                  I haven't been able to figure out why, but a simple httpd
>                  restart fixes
>                  it for a day or 2.
>
>                  Since I can't figure out a real fix, I'm wondering if
>         there is a
>                  way for
>                  me to automatically restart httpd whenever the bug
>         hits.  Maybe
>                  whenever
>                  it appears in the httpd-error.log?  What are my options?
>

>              Without more to go on to the actual cause of the problem...
>
>              Restarting apache daily isn't a bad idea in general if even
>         just a
>              graceful restart.
>              kill -USR1 `cat /var/run/httpd.pid`
>              which I believe should be safe any time of day.
>
>              If a complete restart, maybe early morning off hours
>         assuming your
>              server requires a high degree of availability?
>
>              Jim
>

>     Try to remember not to top-post, please. It makes it hard for others
>     to read the thread.
>
>     I don't know, but it kind of has a DNS feel to it, possibly. Nothing
>     concrete to go on, just past experience when I see network and I
>     know the network is fine... I think DNS. Maybe reverse resolution of
>     your private IP address space assuming your requests are being made
>     to/from private addresses? That's really just a shot in the dark
>     because we don't have much to go on. I'd start thinking network and
>     DNS, put in some debug, see what if anything is timing out.
>
>     Jim
>

> Sorry about the top post.
>
> I've done the debugging on DNS.  If it try changing the IP/hostname I
> still get the error.  I think it's per-process though.  Once it starts
> to happen it's intermittent and gets worse, making me think depending
> which process I hit it will work or not until all processes are affected.
>
> This is on FreeBSD using a jailed (virtualized) host.  I read about
> apache/jails on OpenBSD having a config issue with DNS but it seemed
> different than this.
>
> It only seems to affect httpd, I can log in and ping from the server
> just fine.

Also, please reply to the list, not personal email addresses so everyone
else gets the benefit of the thread, and maybe you get a better answer
from someone other than me. :)

I'm not so sure you've eliminated DNS, yet.

What if from 192.168.0.222 you:
dig -x 192.168.0.x

where 192.168.0.x is the IP addressing making the connection to
192.168.0.222

Do you have reverse resolvers for your private address space or are the
requests handled by the top level root servers?

Who is answering for that reverse resolution request?
dig -x 192.168.0.x
Is it your resolver or a root level like prisoner.iana.org

Jim