perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Jim Albert <...@netrition.com>
Subject Re: automatically restart httpd
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2013 17:23:32 GMT
On 4/23/2013 1:08 PM, Ryan Perry wrote:
> I've considered doing it daily via cron, but if there's a way to do when
> I hit this error I'd prefer that.
>

> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 12:02 PM, Jim Albert <jim@netrition.com
> <mailto:jim@netrition.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 4/23/2013 11:49 AM, Ryan Perry wrote:
>
>         I've been plagued by some bug that makes a call to LWP stop working:
>         "Can't connect to 192.168.0.222 (Bad hostname)"
>
>         I haven't been able to figure out why, but a simple httpd
>         restart fixes
>         it for a day or 2.
>
>         Since I can't figure out a real fix, I'm wondering if there is a
>         way for
>         me to automatically restart httpd whenever the bug hits.  Maybe
>         whenever
>         it appears in the httpd-error.log?  What are my options?
>

>     Without more to go on to the actual cause of the problem...
>
>     Restarting apache daily isn't a bad idea in general if even just a
>     graceful restart.
>     kill -USR1 `cat /var/run/httpd.pid`
>     which I believe should be safe any time of day.
>
>     If a complete restart, maybe early morning off hours assuming your
>     server requires a high degree of availability?
>
>     Jim

Try to remember not to top-post, please. It makes it hard for others to
read the thread.

I don't know, but it kind of has a DNS feel to it, possibly. Nothing
concrete to go on, just past experience when I see network and I know
the network is fine... I think DNS. Maybe reverse resolution of your
private IP address space assuming your requests are being made to/from
private addresses? That's really just a shot in the dark because we
don't have much to go on. I'd start thinking network and DNS, put in
some debug, see what if anything is timing out.

Jim