perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Jim Albert <...@netrition.com>
Subject Re: automatically restart httpd
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2013 17:02:34 GMT
On 4/23/2013 11:49 AM, Ryan Perry wrote:
> I've been plagued by some bug that makes a call to LWP stop working:
> "Can't connect to 192.168.0.222 (Bad hostname)"
>
> I haven't been able to figure out why, but a simple httpd restart fixes
> it for a day or 2.
>
> Since I can't figure out a real fix, I'm wondering if there is a way for
> me to automatically restart httpd whenever the bug hits.  Maybe whenever
> it appears in the httpd-error.log?  What are my options?

Without more to go on to the actual cause of the problem...

Restarting apache daily isn't a bad idea in general if even just a
graceful restart.
kill -USR1 `cat /var/run/httpd.pid`
which I believe should be safe any time of day.

If a complete restart, maybe early morning off hours assuming your
server requires a high degree of availability?

Jim