perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "Andreas Mock" <andreas.m...@web.de>
Subject AW: [OT] AW: Unsuccessful stat on filename containing newline in RegistryCooker.pm
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2013 15:09:25 GMT
Hi all,

please, please don't forget to restrict yourself
to the 8.3 naming convention. Anything else is
troublesome...
... the executable perl.exe is not named by
accident but follows deep wisdom.

;-)

McA

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: demerphq [mailto:demerphq@gmail.com]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 28. Februar 2013 15:14
An: mod_perl list
Betreff: Re: [OT] AW: Unsuccessful stat on filename containing newline in
RegistryCooker.pm

On 28 February 2013 13:29, André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com> wrote:
> Alexander.Elgert@external.t-systems.com wrote:
>
>> I am pretty shure, I tested the capability of filenames on a Linux (ext2)
>> or Solaris (ufs) filesystem, a long time ago
>> The outcome was, that you can use 254 different characters, except the
>> '\0' and the '/'.
>>
>> But I agree, it is an annoyance it should be forbidden. ;)
>>

> The person who invented that spaces and other unprintable characters were
> allowed in filenames and paths should be found, his PC and iPhone should
be
> confiscated, he should be exiled to an isolated island in the middle of
the
> Arctic Ocean, and he should be nominated for an IgNobel.  The person at
> Microsoft who decided that "C:\Program Files" was an acceptable place to
> install programs should be sent along as his butler.

What a stupid thing to say.

You can use those things on pretty much every file system and OS. Ever
since your grandmother started using a computer and thought it was
pretty darn stupid for young whippersnappers like yourself to tell her
that she couldnt name a file "good recipies".

A special place in hell is reserved for programmers that write code
that assumes that spaces and other unprintables are illegal in a
filename.

Yves