perl-modperl mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: question on sub-requests
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2012 23:42:52 GMT
Hi.
Thank you for your response.
You are not missing the point of my questions.

But I do not really have control over the requests.  Or rather, I do, but there are
hundreds of pages containing hundreds of similar (but not equal) links, and it is in the
practice not doable to edit them all..
And my "mangle.pl" URI was an oversimplification for the sake of this post.  The real URI

for that first frame is more complicated to generate, and beyond what I can do with
mod_rewrite et al.

But second, I just realised that I cannot do things the way I explain below anyway,
because inside a <frame> tag, you cannot put content. You can only use <frame src="..URI..">.
So basically, my skeleton ResponseHandler works as I expected and does create the
<frameset> document that I wanted and returns it, but that document is invalid html.
Shucks. Back to the drawing board.

Which now creates another issue :
I could create instead a document like :
<head></head>
<frameset rows="100,*">
   <frame name="topframe" src="/cgi-bin/mangle.pl?arg=ghi" />
   <frame name="bottomframe" src=/abc/def/ghi.html">
</frameset>

but.. the URI of the request for the second frame would trigger my ResponseHandler again,

and I'd be stuck in a forever-loop of embedded frames, fractal-like.

So now I am going to re-read your suggestions below, and see if I can figure out something

along those lines which does not force me to edit and/or rename all the pages.

Maybe instead of generating the second frame as
   <frame name="bottomframe" src=/abc/def/ghi.html">
I can instead generate it as
   <frame name="bottomframe" src=/abc/def/ghi.html.perl">
and then detect this in the Handler, change the $r->uri back to the correct one, and let

Apache's default handler serve it by returning DECLINED.  I'll try that.

Thanks for helping me think.