perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Fred Moyer <f...@redhotpenguin.com>
Subject Re: [MP2] Nullav undeclared make error
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2012 01:38:20 GMT
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 2:02 AM, Steve Hay <Steve.Hay@verosoftware.com> wrote:

> I've now eliminated our uses of deprecated core perl symbols in commits 1362399, 1362409
and 1362414, although we'll need to update Apache-Test in mod_perl to get the commit which
touched that.

What update needs to happen to Apache-Test? If you want to make the
needed commit I can start the release process.

> This gets mod_perl building again with a perl that doesn't have large files support.
>
> I still think we should also remove our usage of PERL_CORE, though...

Does this affect the minimum version of Perl we can support? I
remember from the last mp2 release that there was a file with
httpd/perl dependencies in it that I had to update.

3ae1b22641), but left definitions of them for when PERL_CORE is not defined, for backwards
compatibility with all those CPAN modules out there which use them.

> The problem here is what Nick hinted at in his comment for 24792b8dab, namely that "obviously"
nobody outside of the perl core is defining PERL_CORE... It's a rather too common and surely
always wrong thing to do that, and we're guilty of it ourselves: modperl_perl_includes.h defines
PERL_CORE as some kind of optimization, but only when USE_ITHREADS is defined and USE_LARGE_FILES
is not. That's not a common configuration, hence we haven't seen this happen before, but the
last line which I've quoted below does indeed undefine large file support, hence PERL_CORE
gets defined and the definitions of Nullsv, Nullav etc are not provided.

> I replaced all uses of Nullxx with (XX*)NULL in my modules some time ago in the belief
that if it was good for the core then it was good for me, so I will do likewise for mod_perl
unless anyone objects (or beats me to it).