perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Dave Hodgkinson <daveh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: highscalability.com report
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2012 19:26:45 GMT

On 4 Apr 2012, at 19:41, Fred Moyer wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 6:37 AM, demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 4 April 2012 09:31, William A. Rowe Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> When was the last time you built perl with no threading support?  It's
>>> certainly a 5%-15% win.
>>
>> Not certainly. We did that and saw almost no difference.
>
> I've done two perlbench sets of comparisons with threaded/non-threaded
> across a couple different versions of perl. I don't have the results
> posted on the web anymore, but non-threaded was up to 20% faster for
> some operations.
>
> As far as real world differences go, I don't think you are likely to
> see differences with mod_perl in production environments with threaded
> vs non-threaded.  That 20% increase probably only affects 1% of your
> application.

I would say the app layer performance is the least of your worries. Front-end
caching, CDNs and caching in the intermediate layers will win you much, much
more than fretting about +/- 20% in the speed of the code. And if you have
a scalable architecture, and I'm assuming youporn is, you can always go
sideways very easily.