perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Fred Moyer <f...@redhotpenguin.com>
Subject Re: highscalability.com report
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2012 18:41:04 GMT
On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 6:37 AM, demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 April 2012 09:31, William A. Rowe Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>>
>> When was the last time you built perl with no threading support?  It's
>> certainly a 5%-15% win.
>
> Not certainly. We did that and saw almost no difference.

I've done two perlbench sets of comparisons with threaded/non-threaded
across a couple different versions of perl. I don't have the results
posted on the web anymore, but non-threaded was up to 20% faster for
some operations.

As far as real world differences go, I don't think you are likely to
see differences with mod_perl in production environments with threaded
vs non-threaded.  That 20% increase probably only affects 1% of your
application.