perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Lloyd Richardson <ll...@protectchildren.ca>
Subject RE: difference between PerlSetEnv and <Perl>$ENV{}=</Perl> ?
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2012 19:30:29 GMT
Do the PerlSetEnv as you are, and use this module to ensure it is visible from your pgplot
lib env.

http://search.cpan.org/dist/Env-C/C.pm

From: ckatzcfa@gmail.com [mailto:ckatzcfa@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Charlie Katz
Sent: March-26-12 2:26 PM
To: randolf@modperl.pl
Cc: modperl@perl.apache.org
Subject: Re: difference between PerlSetEnv and <Perl>$ENV{}=</Perl> ?

I have also tried using SetEnv from mod_env, and neither the Perl nor the PGPLOT library can
see the environment variable set that way.
On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Randolf Richardson <randolf@modperl.pl<mailto:randolf@modperl.pl>>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My web app uses the PGPLOT module to access PGPLOT, which is a scientific
> plotting library commonly used in my field.  It is a Fortran library, with
> a C wrapper around it, which is then wrapped in Perl.  This works fine in
> my test scripts, producing the desired graphics.
>
> The library requires that the environment variable PGPLOT_DIR be set so it
> can find some required files.  Running from the command line, I just set
> this in the shell, and PGPLOT works fine.  Running in Apache, I see
> different behavior:
>
> When I set this in httpd.conf:
>   PerlSetEnv PGPLOT_DIR /my/pgplot/directory
> my Perl programs can see the value in $ENV{PGPLOT_DIR}, but the PGPLOT
> library can't, and my code fails.
>
> When I set this in httpd.conf:
>   <Perl>
>   $ENV{PGPLOT_DIR} = q[/my/pgplot/directory];
>   </Perl>
> my Perl programs can't see the value in $ENV, but the PGPLOT library can,
> and my code works.
>

> Can someone help me understand what the difference is between these two
> cases?
>
> Is the situation muddled because the PGPLOT library is a
> Perl-wrapped-C-wrapped-Fortran library?  I'm not sure how the environment
> passing is supposed to work.
       Try this module:

               http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_env.html

Randolf Richardson - randolf@inter-corporate.com<mailto:randolf@inter-corporate.com>