perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Perrin Harkins <per...@elem.com>
Subject Re: mod_perl debugging application debugging in shared environments
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 18:42:01 GMT
On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Dmitriy Ryajov <dryajov@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running in a shared development environment. I can't run httpd in non
> detached mode on that machine because the server is used by other devs at
> the same time, and there is absolutely no way I can get my own sandbox set
> up.

I suspect that finding a way to run your own is going to be easier
than inventing a new way to debug perl.  Can you tell us anything
about the barriers to running your own server?  We might be able to
suggest something.

> Is there a way that I can run an interactive debug session without
> running http -x?

You need a console attached, so I don't think so.  You could look at
what others have done with trying to debug forked programs, but
daemons like apache try pretty hard to detach from everything.

> I'm willing to invest time into adding the required functionality into
> mod_perl/Apache::DB if necessary, so any pointers into why and how, are
> greatly appreciated.

If I were going to try to do this, I'd probably start with
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Devel-ebug/ and see if it can be hacked to
work as a remote debugger for mod_perl.

- Perrin