perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Michael Peters <mpet...@plusthree.com>
Subject Re: Best approach to store Application Configuration
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2011 22:14:16 GMT
On 07/11/2011 05:41 PM, Jerry Pereira wrote:
> please correct me if I am wrong, I should be using tool like
> YAML/Config::General for application configuration storage and
> reteieval, and load them on startup using startup.pl <http://startup.pl>
> script?

Yes.

> That would mean i will have to store the name of configuration
> file some where (probabaly in mod_perl configuration block in httpd.conf).

Again, if you think about just using a mod_perl specific way of doing
this you'll leave all of your non-mod_perl stuff out in the cold and any
project of significant size is going to have some non-mod_perl processes
involved somewhere.

I prefer to use environment variables if you need to specify the
location of a config file. These are available no matter where you're
running (in mod_perl you'll want to use a PerlPassEnv directive so the
mod_perl side sees it).

--
Michael Peters
Plus Three, LP