perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Rolf Schaufelberger ...@plusw.de>
Subject Re: How do you use mod_perl for your web application?
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2011 21:03:00 GMT

Am 21.06.2011 um 18:12 schrieb Perrin Harkins:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 2:25 AM, Rolf Schaufelberger <rs@plusw.de> wrote:
>> We are using Mason 1.x,  a (little) modified version of MasonX::WebApp
>
> Us too!  Glad to know someone else is using it.

Same to me, didn't  hear from somebody else using it. When I started with it there weren't
 much alternatives, David Wheelers Interp::WithCallbacks or Maypole and that was it.

>> Currently,  I can use on Perl instance in all virtual hosts  or add  a separate instance
with +Parent for a virtual host. Yet , if I have  some virtual hosts running with version
A , some with Version B,  some with Version C  I have to add +Parent for each  vhost and I,m
running out of memory. So , I would like to make instance pools one for each version , and
tell each vhost  just, which pool to use.

> My approach to this problem would be to run separate httpd servers for
> each version of the code you need to support and use a proxy in front
> to do the dispatching.
>
> - Perrin

yes, I've tried this too, but this leads to a big memory footprint too. If you have 10 sites
and make separate (preforking) instance for each vhost, with StartServers = 2 and set the
other parameters (Min/MaxSpareServers etc) to low values, you quickly get 20 oder 30 fat apache
processes. Ok, you can get this running with enough memory,  but the idea of  instance pools
seems to be a better and more elegant solution for this. I've discussed this once with Torsten
Förtsch who is a mod_perl expert nearby, his opinion was, that it wouldn't be  very much
code that has to be added for this.

Rolf Schaufelberger