perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Michael Peters <mpet...@plusthree.com>
Subject Re: How do you use mod_perl for your web application?
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 20:26:50 GMT
On 06/16/2011 04:18 PM, Fred Moyer wrote:

> Maybe I'm not completely grokking how people are starting new projects
> using Plack, but it seems like the way to go is to not use Plack
> itself to write the code, but to use one of the many web frameworks
> (Mason2, Catalyst, Mojolicious) and then use Plack to specify what
> webserver is used.  Plack is just middleware.

Yes, but lots of people are using Plack to refer to the Plack family of
stuff. Mainly the PSGI spec, the middleware and possibly one of the new
Plack/PSGI oriented servers (like Starman).

> I see the role of mod_perl2 going forward as not something that
> applications are written on, but something that webserver middleware
> interfaces with.

Yeah, that's what I see too. I'd like to see the performance of Starman
vs mod_perl for normal applications (that don't need to do anything
fancy with Apache). If it's anywhere close to mod_perl than I suspect
lots of people would use it instead since it's much easier to setup and
also much easier to package with your app since it's just a CPAN module.
Would be nice to through FastCGI into that benchmark too.

--
Michael Peters
Plus Three, LP