perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Vincent Veyron <vv.li...@wanadoo.fr>
Subject Re: How do you use mod_perl for your web application?
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 14:07:21 GMT
Le jeudi 16 juin 2011 à 14:11 -0700, Joe Schaefer a écrit :

> To me writing to a generic webserver API is not all that exciting.
> Python people love it, but they've never had a proper exposure
> to httpd in the first place.  Yes it means you gain some portability,
> but the downside is that you lose an awful lot of power that comes
> from the existing open source module ecosystem for httpd.  That's not
> easily replaced, no matter what others may say.

Power indeed.

I wrote an application for case management that uses mod_perl's and
postgresql's specific features, via simple mod_perl handlers (LAMP to me
means Linux/Apache/Mod_Perl/Postgres).

The result is 15 milliseconds response times to generate an html page
with authentication and a hit to the database, on commodity hardware. My
application serves five to six users all day with a 1.6 Ghz processor
(200 dollar machine, 0 license) which peaks at 0.3% usage on busy
weekdays. That leaves me room for growth.

I don't suppose you can get the same numbers using frameworks?

--
Vincent Veyron
http://marica.fr/