perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Rolf Schaufelberger ...@plusw.de>
Subject Re: How do you use mod_perl for your web application?
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2011 06:25:36 GMT
We are using Mason 1.x,  a (little) modified version of MasonX::WebApp together with Apache2
and mod_perl2  running  behind a lightweight Apache as frontend-server. We use mod_perl for
Mason and Apache2::UploadProgress , no other mod_perl handlers. Session management is done
with MasonX::WebApp and Apache::Session::Wrapper.

I've been playing around with Mason2, Plack, Catalyst and Dancer, where I liked the easier
data passing to my templates than with MasonX::WebApp in Catalyst, which leads to a stricter
separation from HTML and Perl code. Yet I haven't made any tests with file uploading in combination
with a progress-meter on the client side and some other aspects that are important for us,
so there is no decision yet, if we will using Apache and mod_perl for this or switch to a
PSGI Server or even nginx. The current standing is to switch to Catalyst with Mason2, but
this is a long way to go.

There is one point that I would like to see in mod_perl that would help me a lot:

Currently,  I can use on Perl instance in all virtual hosts  or add  a separate instance with
+Parent for a virtual host. Yet , if I have  some virtual hosts running with version A , some
with Version B,  some with Version C  I have to add +Parent for each  vhost and I,m running
out of memory. So , I would like to make instance pools one for each version , and tell each
vhost  just, which pool to use.
So, memory usage is a con for mod_perl, or in other words , if I would found a PSGI based
solution which allows something like this this would be an argument for me to switch!

Rolf Schaufelberger