Hey John

If you are the type that likes to buy books, let me give a shout out to _ mod_perl 2 User's Guide _ by Stas Bekman and Jim Brandt.
It has helped me a lot to leverage the power available in mp2.

I notice Ch 6 of that book: Input and Output filters, with subsections:
  I/O Filtering Concepts
  Writing well-behaved Filters
  Filter Examples
I would guess this book would provide all of the concepts, as well as good pragmatic advice you need to move forward.

HTH,

-- jeff