perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Perrin Harkins <phark...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: non-stop generational modperl config update strategies?
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2010 02:09:14 GMT
Hi Jeff,

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 8:18 PM, Jeff McCarrell <jmccarre@akamai.com> wrote:
> I would like to be able to reload the configuration state from new data
> without an apache restart.

Given that you say it's only 10MBs, my best advice to you is to stop
worrying about sharing, even it means buying a few thousand dollars
more RAM.  It's the simplest thing by far and might save you a lot of
debugging time.  Then you can just have child processes check the
timestamp on your config file or however you push it out and reload
the data as needed in a cleanup handler.

If you're determined to share it, I don't think you'll find anything
significantly better than what you have.  There's no way to share
configuration via IPC without eventually copying it into local perl
memory.  If you try to use the threaded MPM you may succeed in sharing
this structure but you will have totally lost copy-on-write and will
probably end up using more RAM in the end.  It's not that hard to try
though, so maybe you'd like to give it a shot.

Alternatively, you may decide this data is not all needed all the time
and you can store it in something very fast like BerkeleyDB and only
read the pieces you need when you need them from the apache children.

- Perrin