perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Boysenberry Payne <boysenbe...@habitatlife.com>
Subject Need an explanation of APR::Pool and it's use in mod_perl
Date Sun, 17 Jan 2010 08:05:38 GMT
Hello everyone,

I've been looking over the APR::Pool because some pools gets passed to some of my handlers
and I was wondering how I could use it to good effect managing my memory better.
There are great instructions on the API for it, but no real explanation as to how to use the
pool (at least not in the APR::Pool docs.)

I was wondering if anyone could explain how to use memory pools to manage memory, or point
out some examples I might have missed.

I'm not looking for what's already in the doc, i.e. I already understand what is mean by the
life cycle of the pool, destroy vs. clear, etc.  I'm looking for more of an example of how
to use the pool with my memory, i.e. do I have to create my data structures in the pool somehow,
or is it taken care of automagically somehow that isn't obvious?  It seems pretty low level,
is it something I should avoid, via higher level modules or something like that?

Thank you,
Boysenberry Payne