perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Octavian Râşniţă <orasn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Installing under Cygwin?
Date Mon, 28 Dec 2009 17:04:31 GMT
Hi,

From: "André Warnier" <aw@ice-sa.com>
> Octavian Râşniţă wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone know if mod_perl can be installed under Cygwin?
>>
>> I have tried to install it with cpan, but it gave an error on the `make`
>> step.
>>
> I cannot answer your question directly, I don't know.
>
> But my question is : why would you want to do that ?
>
> One of the beauties of Perl, is that it runs on multiple platforms,
> Windows native being one of them.
> And so does Apache 2.x.
> And so does mod_perl, in combination of Apache 2.x for Windows, and
> ActivePerl from www.activestate.com.

I know that mod_perl can be installed with native Apache and Perl, but
unfortunately Perl is fully portable only theoreticly if we take into
consideration the CPAN modules :-(

I have an application made with Catalyst framework and I also want to
include Movable Type blogs in it.

I have a few solutions, but none of them work well:

1. I can use the native ActivePerl and Apache and use Movable Type as simple
CGI scripts that don't have any relation with the rest of the application.
This solution works, but it is not nice to have 2 totally separate apps, and
the CGI scripts will run slow.
(In addition, because there are CGI scripts involved, they have a shebang
line like #!/usr/bin/perl, and the problem is that I do the development
under Windows, but run the program in production under Linux, so I need to
have different shebang lines but I found a workaround for this).

2. I can use the module Catalyst::Controller::CGIBin to map the CGI scripts
to a Catalyst controller, but unfortunately it uses the module
Catalyst::Controller::WrapCGI and this module crashes Perl when I try to
install it under ActivePerl 5.10.0 and 5.10.1.

3. I can run the app under cygwin. I have tested and
Catalyst::Controller::CGIBin can be installed with no problems. I have even
succeeded to install MySQL and DBD::mysql under cygwin and start Apache,
but... mod_perl can't be installed.

I don't know yet if the solution that uses Catalyst::Controller::CGIBin
really works, but I can't even test it, because under ActivePerl it crashes
Perl just when I try to install it.

Octavian