perl-modperl mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Detecting graceful restart/stop in child processes
Date Sun, 06 Dec 2009 17:51:13 GMT
Bill Moseley wrote:
> I'm running mod_perl/2.0.4 with a very large keep-alive set in my
> httpd.conf.
>
> Is there a way to detect when a graceful stop or restart has been requested
> in the child apache processes?
> I tried $SIG{USR1} and $SIG{WINCH} but I'm not seeing them catch the signal.
>
> I'd like to be able to detect when a graceful stop or restart has been
> requested so that I can add a Connection: close header to the response.

I am not the ultimate authority here, but I think you are going to have
several problems with this idea.
- the first one is that under Windows (where Apache also runs) there are
no such signals.
- the second one is that the signal, if signal there is, is probably
addressed to the main Apache instance, not to the children processes.
I am not sure that the Apache main process then tells the children to
stop via a signal, or via some other mechanism.
- assuming that a child process (or thread) has received (from the main
Apache process) the order to terminate, it will do so after it finishes
the current request, by which time it will be too late to add your header.
But maybe I'm wrong with all of these.  Let's wait for a guru here to
comment..