perl-modperl mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: apache 2 reloads needed?
Date Tue, 03 Nov 2009 09:27:19 GMT
Jie Gao wrote:
> * Tom??? Ba??ant <tbazant@suse.cz> wrote:
>
>> Greetings from cloudy Prague!
>>

>> I am developing web application with mod_perl/apache/mysql. I am using
>> several own perl modules (*.pm), and after changing the contents of a
>> particular module, i usually have to reload/restart apache for these
>> changes to take effect. it is quite annoying. Is there any way how to
>> bypass this process and make apache aware of the changes automatically?
>
> Install Apache::Reload from CPAN.

Greetings from sunny (right now anyway) Southern Germany.

I see that you mention mysql.  This probably means DBI.
I think you need to be a bit careful with DBI and Apache::Reload.  I
seem to recall that there are some particularities there
(Probably in relation to permanent cached database connections).

In any case, I believe Apache::Reload is OK for a development server,
but on a production server this is probably not very efficient.
There is no free lunch : if you ask the server to monitor certain things
and do something in case of change, then that has a cost.