perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Mark Stosberg <m...@summersault.com>
Subject Best Practices for managing repetitive Apache config file entries?
Date Fri, 06 Nov 2009 18:30:23 GMT

I'm working on a mod_perl project where we would like to implement to
Apache related goals:

1. Automate repetitive configurations. For developers, we repeat the
same configs with the only difference being the "~user" location. In
other cases, the differences are not far from s/alpha/beta.

2. Put the Apache configurations under source control. Here the goal is
to tie changes to the Apache configs to other code changes in the
project.

Here's my outline for now we might do this. Are there other options
that work well for you?

1. We would be a template of Apache configs unders source control.
2. When the template changes, we'll run a script to generate all the
sections. Apache would pull this in as an include file.

In the event a launch is rolled back, the template could reverted to an
older version, and the include-file could be regenerated from the older
version.

Sound reasonable? What else would you recommend?

    Mark

   Mark Stosberg            Principal Developer
   mark@summersault.com     Summersault, LLC
   765-939-9301 ext 202     database driven websites
 . . . . . http://www.summersault.com/ . . . . . . . .