perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Bill Moseley <mose...@hank.org>
Subject Re: Best Practices for managing repetitive Apache config file entries?
Date Fri, 06 Nov 2009 19:02:55 GMT
On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Mark Stosberg <mark@summersault.com> wrote:

> I'm working on a mod_perl project where we would like to implement to
> Apache related goals:
>
> 1. Automate repetitive configurations. For developers, we repeat the
> same configs with the only difference being the "~user" location. In
> other cases, the differences are not far from s/alpha/beta.
>
> 2. Put the Apache configurations under source control. Here the goal is
> to tie changes to the Apache configs to other code changes in the
> project.

I generate httpd.conf files on the fly (i.e. when I start Apache) from
Template toolkit and YAML files.

The script merges the configurations from multilple YAML files -- i.e. form
a main config.yaml file and then when, say, running on "staginge", from
staging.yml.  Then it merges with a local file which allows individual
developers to override settings in their home directory.  Then the
apache-specific config is passed to a script that builds the httpd.conf
files and starts (or stops) apache.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org