Well, actually Igor, we ended up writing eBay::API.  We needed something that was able to extend many more web services that are internal-use only, that the public doesn't have access to.  The fact that eBay web service data-types are probably the most complex out there, and they change often, we had to come up with a way to easily incorporate those changes by slurping up a giant WSDL, and auto-generating all the classes and data types, etc.

But we do thank you for writing that.  I knew of many API clients at the time that absolutely loved Net::eBay!  In fact, I think at the time, the #2 API client (in listings) was perl-based, and using it.

Cheers,
- Jeff

From: Igor Chudov <ichudov@gmail.com>
To: Jeff Nokes <jeff_nokes@yahoo.com>
Cc: Brad Van Sickle <bvs7085@gmail.com>; mod_perl list <modperl@perl.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:26:53 PM
Subject: Re: Why people not using mod_perl

You must have use my module Net::eBay, at some point, right?

I wrote Net::eBay about 3 years ago.

Igor

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 9:47 PM, Jeff Nokes <jeff_nokes@yahoo.com> wrote:
Doesn't Amazon run mod_perl/Mason?

BTW, I agree with most of your points (would debate #4,5).  I may substitute the phrase "More convenient" for "Easier" in #3.  I would also add ...

   #7)  How many engineers are available to hire that know or want to work with said technology?

I built a great platform at eBay on mod_perl/Mason that handled eBay-size traffic; we ran 6 eBay sites on it.  Now it is used for specialty e-commerce solutions like worldofgood.ebay.com, global.ebay.com (cross-border trade), dealfinder.ebay.com, etc.  In fact, on the same hardware, the main eBay Java app would support ~6 threads per box; the mod_perl platform supported ~60 (prefork), significant CapEx and power savings (which adds up at a place like eBay).