perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Tina Mueller <apa...@s05.tinita.de>
Subject Re: Ways to scale a mod_perl site
Date Fri, 18 Sep 2009 15:13:17 GMT
On Wed, 16 Sep 2009, Michael Peters wrote:

> On 09/16/2009 12:13 PM, Brad Van Sickle wrote:
>
>> Can I get you to explain this a little more? I don't see how this could
>> be used for truly secure sites because I don't quite understand how
>> storing a hash in a plain text cookie would be secure.
>
> If you need to store per-session data about a client that the client
> shouldn't be able to see, then you just encrypt that data, base-64 encode it
> and then put it into a cookie.

How does the user invalidate that "session"? (in case the cookie leaked
or something like that). Or how can the website owner log out a certain
user?
If I have a session cookie with data in the server database I can always
invalidate that session by login out and thus removing the database
entry.
I personally prefer to have control over such things...

Is one select per request that bad? if the website is completely
dynamic you will probably have other requests as well?

If you care about the number of selects you should IMHO better safe those
with the help of caching.