perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Fred Moyer <f...@redhotpenguin.com>
Subject Re: distributing software built on mod_perl
Date Fri, 25 Sep 2009 18:34:24 GMT
On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 7:32 AM, Mike Barborak <barborak@basikgroup.com> wrote:
> I think I see what you're saying. It seems like a very expensive
> problem to solve. It must be a barrier to people choosing mod_perl to
> develop their apps because it might be the case that their
> distribution and installation process is more complex to develop and
> support than their actual applications. That's what it's looking like
> in my situation and so I'm going to reevaluate using mod_perl.

Packaging mod_perl apps takes some effort, no doubt.  But have you
ever tried to package a windows app using msi installer or something
similar?  The difference in efforts is not significant IMHO.

> This massive distributable contains these binaries built for all the
> supported platforms and all the supported versions of Apache. So if we
> say that there are on the order of 10 platforms that need to be
> supported to cover 95% of all installations and there are 5 versions
> of Apache to support (just guessing with both numbers), then it would
> be a matter of building:

I tend to rely on Linux distributions to provide the binaries there,
so I just need to create an rpm for my own distributions.  And the
Ovid module on CPAN can make that really easy if you are creating rpms
from Perl modules.

> So is it a pipe dream to think that such a repository of
> non-project-specific binaries could be made publicly available to
> mod_perl application developers? Some of the problems I see are:

Take a look at rpm.pbone.net if you are using Centos or Red Hat.  Does
that provide what you are looking for?