perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
Subject Re: problem with CSS in a dynamic document
Date Fri, 25 Sep 2009 16:04:14 GMT

On Sep 25, 2009, at 6:14 AM, Michael Peters wrote:

> On 09/25/2009 08:17 AM, Chuck Crisler wrote:
>
>> # output a document
>> print $query->header();
>> print $query->start_html(-title=>"Howdy",
>>                          -style=>{-src=>'./dynamic.css'});
>> print $query->h1('Form Data');
>
> Also, not to confuse you too much, but most people don't use
> CGI.pm's HTML generation features any more. Most of us have moved on
> to using HTML templates which makes it even easier to separate
> things out. And it's more like editing a normal HTML file which is
> what most designers are familiar with.
>
> You should check out Template Toolkit (http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?Template
> ) or HTML::Template (http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?HTML::Template).

or just print the html. When executed as a cgi script, the outgoing
connection from Apache is the script's stdout. Variables substitute
just fine.

print <<EOF;
EOF

Works for us.

This way I can do large swaths of straight html code without any
issue, and no potential complications from added modules.

I can also split the raw html into pieces so I can insert dynamically
created tables, etc.

I've  used this to output pre-encoded rtf with variable substitution,
too.

(Hint, use Windows Write to generate the RTF, it makes simple, easy to
parse and customize rtf files. The RTF emitted by Word or TextEdit is
ginormously complicated)

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona