perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Perrin Harkins <phark...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why people not using mod_perl
Date Thu, 17 Sep 2009 02:05:52 GMT
On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 9:42 PM, Jenn G. <practicalperl@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the more exact statement should be, mod_perl is compiled perl,
> mod_perl is very fast.
> But perl CGI...I must say it's very slow.

Well, you can say CGI is slow, but Perl CGI is very fast compared to
the alternatives.  Have you ever tried Java CGI?  Or PHP CGI?  They're
not fast.

Also, I don't like to tell people that mod_perl is "compiled" because
it's really no more compiled than any other perl script.  If you want
to be precise, you could say mod_perl is a persistent daemon for
running perl code, just like servlets are a persistent daemon for
running Java.

- Perrin